Loser's Bench

HW: 419 SW:314 CW:282 GW: 170

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Oh, baby baby......no baby baby

So...those of you who know me, know I love children, especially the little ones.  BUT, at 43, getting pregnant is not something I want. I currently take LoSeasonique (helps with my Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and of course the no baby thing!) AND I require condoms for the sexually transmitted disease concerns. 

I knew that WLS can improve fertility, but I never thought about having to re-consider the type of birth control I use after surgery. 

One of the reasons I chose Vertical Gastric Sleeve over Gastric Bypass was because I was really concerned about mal-absorption.  I know there is still a possibility with the sleeve, but was told it was less of an issue. 

According to http://www.laparoscopic.md/bariatric/surgery/birth-control:

Malabsorbtive bariatric procedures have the potential to decrease the efficacy of oral medications by limiting the amount of active agent that can be absorbed via the digestive tract; an effect that can be exacerbated by postoperative gastrointestinal disturbances such as vomiting or diarrhea. Combined oral contraceptive pills may therefore be contraindicated for an extended period postoperatively in those undergoing malabsorbtive procedures.

 So.....I have added an appointment with my GYN to discuss options.

Seriously,  my head is spinning from all of this information.  UGH!!!!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment