Loser's Bench

HW: 419 SW:314 CW:282 GW: 170

Friday, July 15, 2016

Money, Money, Money........

I am so thankful I have health insurance, and not just health insurance, but insurance that covers bariatric surgery. I have been seeing several people post that they are going to Mexico for the surgery, because they are cash patients, due to insurance not covering it.  Insurance will cover drug rehab, but not a surgery that can reduce further medical issues?  The AMA lists both substance addiction and obesity as diseases, so I am not sure why insurance companies haven't caught up.  Don't get me started on the excess skin removal issue!

Getting healthy isn't cheap, but it is worth EVERY Penny!

The surgery costs around $25,000 (that includes hospital stay, etc.) Thankfully, I will only have to pay my copay of $150.

Let's outline just some of the costs:
  1. Gym membership $56/month. Plus any additional classes I may want to take elsewhere or at the gym and have a fee.
  2. Protein Powder $33/20 servings.  During the liquid diet phase, you can end up consuming 4 or 5 of these a day.
  3. Dr. visits $44 per visit for 6 visits = $264
  4. Psych eval: $35 (I got lucky the therapist fought for me and I only had to pay the copay)
  5. Vitamins (chewable or liquid for at least 90 days).  We have to take 2 multi vitamins a day and 3 calcium tablets a day.  It is about $23 for a 30 day supply.  I will have to take these the rest of my life.
  6. With rabid weight loss, I will need to be replacing clothing as the weight comes off.
I am choosing this path, so I am not complaining, but it takes a great deal of planning and preparing.  I am trying to purchase stuff each pay period to lessen the financial hit.  The good thing is, that during the liquid pre op and liquid post op phase, I won't need to purchase any "food".  

Speaking about money.....I just have to say, I have the 2 most amazing parents.  I am going home next weekend for a visit, which means I have to board my pup ($300).  I planned on paying for the boarding, she is my pup after all.  Dad said, don't argue, we are paying for half because we want to see you.  Mom said, nope, I told dad we are paying the entire boarding bill because you getting healthy and preparing for surgery is more important than us having the $300.  How amazing!  Seriously, I am so lucky in the parent department!  So that meant, I could stock up on some protein powder, order some vitamins and maybe pick up some Isopure water.

Now, if I could figure out a way to get insurance to pay for my required vitamins, that would be great!  Or if I could figure out how to be able to use my medical cafeteria plan to purchase them, that would be good too!


No comments:

Post a Comment